Friday, August 21, 2015

Tonight

Warning: sappy, sentimental post ahead.  But this is my first time doing this, and I'm just being real. : ) Every night before I go to bed and after my kids are asleep, I walk into each of their bedrooms to check on them-one, to make sure they are there, and two, to hopefully send a little more love that I may not have given them earlier in the day-because some days just end wrong. Tonight was Colby's last night before he heads to college tomorrow and I am just melancholy right now after walking to each room.  He's going to be all right, he's ready and it is going to be a great experience for him.  But tonight I just want to cry (cue the Keith Urban song here).  From here on out, when he sleeps here it is going to be temporary.  I know he's going to be back often, but since this is my first time with a child moving on I've just been thinking a lot, wondering, worrying, hoping.  It's where I need to remember that he was never completely mine in the first place.  He is God's son too and I had the blessing of raising him the best I knew how. And he is absolutely amazing. He really is. Heaven knows we clashed and often.  We really, really struggled at times and it took the help of great friends and family to help us sort that out, but we ended good today.  We shopped for things like sheets and salt and pepper and laundry soap (and can I just mention how weird it was to have both diapers for Madilynn and freshman dishes for Colby in my cart?)  We tried out a new sushi restaurant and bought Magic cards and went to Cold Stone. We packed and cooked together. We ate and played with the Palmers, some of our oldest and dearest friends, and even got to prank them again for old time's sake.  So forgive me for being a bit down.  Because when it comes down to it, he is going to be okay and good things are happening and I am really excited for him to start these new adventures in his life.  There are so many memories to be made in life, so here we go!  Here's to new beginnings, adventures, people, and memories. You've got this Colby!

2 comments:

  1. Way to make me cry too! Beautiful. And it's okay to be sad. Change is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete